/* */

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Dean for “DeaNC” Chair

I like the idea of Howard Dean for DNC Chair. Please write your DNC Committee Members before the vote February 12: http://www.newdem.org/assets/pdf/DNC-Roster.pdf.

Minnesotans can also post opinions at http://www.democratslisten.com/dnctour/.

Here’s what I wrote:

"I am writing to urge you to vote for Howard Dean for DNC. I am a Green, voted for Nader, and I think Dean criticized Ralph unfairly about his fundraising, but mostly they agreed on the issues. In addition, Dean pioneered Internet fundraising and was not afraid to take liberal stands against the evil empire.

"Dean is what the party needs right now, and his election could be what it takes to get me thinking about rejoining the fold (I was a DFL activist in the 90’s). At the least, I would be less critical of the Democrats if Dean were in charge.

"For my opinions on the issues, visit http://tomstream.blogspot.com/."

6 Comments:

At Sat Jan 29, 10:28:00 PM CST, Blogger Sheryl said...

Nice letter, Tom! I'm convinced!!! :-)

Of course, I liked Dean all along, but it had a nice willing to unite when the person is right feel to it.

Thanks!!!!!

 
At Sat Jan 29, 10:28:00 PM CST, Blogger Sheryl said...

PS I should post this on my blog as well. :)

 
At Sun Jan 30, 01:13:00 AM CST, Blogger gecko said...

I'm trying to avoid the whole party thing, but I have to admit, the jury is still out on Dean for me. I'll have to look into him more.

 
At Tue Feb 15, 04:15:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

2/15/2005
Yes, Dean won over the weekend, welcome news.

 
At Mon Feb 21, 06:25:00 PM CST, Blogger Corey said...

Hey Tom, I'm surprised by your support for Dean. Based upon his record, which is really all that we can depend upon, Dean is a centrist Democrat who really isn't all that liberal. Check out this good article by Keith Rosenthal: http://www.isreview.org/issues/32/dean.shtml

Some things I've heard about Dean remind me of Clinton. He moves to the left during an election and swiftly back to the right when in office. On the issues, he is for free trade (not fair trade), his record supporting labor and the environment is poor, he doesn't support Single Payer health care, he supports the death penalty. I'm curious why his leadership of the DNC would give progressives hope for the Democratic Party.

 
At Wed Feb 23, 07:03:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Your article forces me to face the prospect that Dean is a decoy candidate. I still think he’s one of the best choices from among the Democrats, but ultimately I think I need to remain a Green.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home