/* */

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Narnia and Syriana

The words Narnia and Syriana almost rhyme, but the similarities end there. I was worried that The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe would be a piece of right wing Christian propaganda, but it turned out to be a thoroughly entertaining, magical fantasy with a theme song from Alanis Oralslut, uh, I mean Morissette. Seriously, though, like Star Wars and The Matrix, there are themes of prophecy and resurrection. The "sons of Adam and daughters of Eve" are called to wage a holy war against the forces of evil. Unlike in the Bible, though, the resurrected ones in all these movies are warriors. I think the war in this movie, unlike the war in Iraq, would qualify as "just" according to the criteria outlined by Saints Augustine and Aquinas mentioned in my December 9 book reviews below. Still, I’m a little uncomfortable with the idea of Santa as an arms dealer.

It would be nice if everyone saw Syriana, but I’m afraid they won’t because it’s complex and slower-moving with a lot of talking. Like Crash, it has a lot of characters and an interwoven plot. There’s George Clooney as a CIA agent expended by his own country; Alexander Siddig as a Saudi Prince who wants democracy and women’s rights; Matt Damon as a corporate profiteer who argues for a measured oil drawdown; and Mazhar Munir as a laid-off Pakistani oil worker who is indoctrinated into his own holy war. This movie is exceedingly relevant to today’s world. Anyone who wants to complain about the price of gas needs to see this movie.

6 Comments:

At Sun Dec 11, 09:18:00 PM CST, Blogger Sheryl said...

Oh, I bet that is the movie that Clooney was talking about on Jay Leno the other night. Dad occassionally has Leno on, so I sometimes watch that. That's about the only TV I ever see anymore and not all that often at that.

Clooney sounded quite involved about the movie, although they normally sound involved with the movies when they go on Leno, so it's hard to tell. But he did say he spent a week talking to this former CIA operative at his home.

They were showing how Clooney drives an electric car, although I am not sure that electric cars are all that much better. I have heard it takes a lot of energy to make the batteries for them. But it sounds like he must have his heart in the right place. :-)

 
At Wed Dec 14, 11:19:00 AM CST, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I found this blog surfing.

I didn't see these movies yet. I recommend Pride and Prejudice.

 
At Wed Dec 14, 04:56:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

I enjoyed the original with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier.

 
At Wed Dec 14, 11:38:00 PM CST, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I'm adding a link to your site at:



http://advant.blogspot.com

 
At Sat Dec 17, 02:19:00 AM CST, Blogger Sheryl said...

I haven't seen those versions of Pride and Prejudice. I own the Elizabeth Garvie. She was really fantastic.

 
At Sat Dec 17, 02:24:00 AM CST, Blogger Sheryl said...

Garvie version, I meant to say. X-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home