/* */

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Ethanol after all?

While in Manchester, Iowa, last weekend for my grandmother’s funeral, my son and I, as well as my brother and his wife, stayed at Hansel’s B & B Inn. (I added a summary of the funeral and some remembrances at http://tomstream.blogspot.com/2005/11/my-grandmother.html).

Bob and Neola prepared some great breakfasts, and Bob was interested in my hybrid so I showed him the engine and took him for a drive. Bob has worked in farming, including tractor maintenance. Afterward, we got to talking about alternative energy sources, and he raised an interesting point, that a corn byproduct of ethanol can be used as cattle feed. Sure enough, I found an article about cattle feed and another about ethanol byproduct as a soil treatment:

http://www.matr.net/article-11057.html
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2004/040924.htm

Neola added that the process is becoming more efficient. In his book "The Party’s Over" published in 2003, Richard Heinberg said the most optimistic studies showed only a 34% energy profit and "nearly all of the continental US would be required in order to grow the feedstock."

This new information would mitigate that somewhat. If you can get double-duty out of the land, then perhaps you could make a run at sustainability. Still, I have three concerns:

1. Would it really be efficient enough?
2. According to the Twin Cities Green Guide, livestock consumes 80% of U.S. corn. Animal rights concerns aside, can this be sustained?
3. Ethanol still produces carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, renewing my fears of global climate change. If Peak Oil doesn’t get us, maybe the weather will!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home