/* */

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

My DFL caucus experience

Tonight I attended my Senate District 44, Golden Valley Precinct 7 DFL caucus.

Brian White was the convener, and was elected Associate District Chair. Ellen Sue Balk was also elected Associate District Chair. George Maxwell, the DFL Director for District 44, made a fundraising pitch, noting the recent Supreme Court Ruling for unlimited propaganda.

I was elected as a delegate to the SD 44 convention March 14, and the Hennepin District 2 convention March 16. I was also elected to the Rules Committee, though I am working Feb. 6. Precinct 7 was allotted 44 delegates, so all 20 or so who wanted to serve were elected. The situation was similar for the 5 or so county delegate seats, and for committee assignments, with more seats than volunteers. For the Rules Committee, Brian said Elaine Wynn would contact me.

Ellen Sue Balk spoke on behalf of Keith Ellison.

Willis Grunquist spoke on behalf of Margaret Anderson Kelliher.

Lena Catharine Gardner spoke on behalf of Steve Kelley.

Jordan Kushner spoke on behalf of John Marty. Marty no longer has a $100 contribution limit, but Kushner said Marty won’t take money from the big interests that could influence him.

When there was some extra time between agenda items, I introduced myself and explained that I had been with the Green Party for 10 years. I said that we don’t have any strong candidates this year, and how I was checking in with the DFL to see how it is coming along, and if any candidates are acceptable. I mentioned the Green Party 10 Key Values, which include democracy, ecology, peace, and justice. I also noted that our U.S. Senate candidate got 10,000 votes in ’06, and how we didn’t run anyone in ’08 when Franken won.

The results of the GV-P7 straw poll were…

Anderson-Kelliher: 8
Marty: 6
Kelley: 5
Rybak: 4
Uncommitted: 3
Entenza: 1

Margaret Anderson-Kelliher visited our precinct personally. I think she will need to work on her speaking skills. To me, she sounded canned and fakey. Her subject matter was boring, with no emphasis on single payer.

The precinct then passed resolutions on sulfide mines, single payer, and LGBT rights. I reminded the group that single payer has been in the Green Party platform for years, which got a good laugh. So I will keep an open mind and keep you posted.

5 Comments:

At Sun Feb 07, 01:24:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

I just sent an email to the following SD44 DFL officials:

Chair: Betsy Baker
Associate Chair: Brian Barnes
Secretary: Vanessa Blomgren

Brian White said Elaine Wynn would contact me, and I have not heard from her. I was elected to the Rules Committee, but I had to work yesterday, so I was unable to attend. Brian said they could work around my schedule.

Tom Cleland, GV-7

 
At Mon Feb 08, 05:18:00 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two weeks ago you post "Democrats infiltrate Green Party" and now you are a DFLer? Weird.

 
At Mon Feb 08, 06:49:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Some might argue that I am a Green infiltrating the Democratic Party. DFL rules state that I cannot be an active member of another political party. I regard myself as an inactive member of the Green Party. I no longer hold party office, and I haven't posted to their listservs since caucus night. I still support Cynthia McKinney, and I would like the Democrats as well as the Greens to endorse her in 2012. Also, I just updated that post you mentioned, to credit three of the people listed for becoming Facebook fans of McKinney.

 
At Mon Feb 08, 06:52:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

The SD44 Chair has cc'd Elaine Wynne and assured me she will be contacting me.

 
At Tue Feb 09, 05:51:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

I heard from Elaine and we have a meeting planned Feb. 17.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home