/* */

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Debating the Dittoheads

Today I touched off a firestorm of controversy when I asked my dittohead friends, “Why does Limbaugh want Obama's policies to fail?”

One response was that Limbaugh wants them to fail because he knows they will fail. Another believes the policies are intended to give money to people who don’t want to work. I was asked why I wouldn’t want an opponent’s policies to fail. I explained that I opposed Bush’s policies, I expected them to fail, but if they had somehow created green jobs and homes, I would have praised those policies. I got a particularly negative reaction when I suggested that progressives did not want our troops to be killed in Iraq, and that that was something Limbaugh invented.

Perhaps we need to learn more about which policies the Republicans want to fail and what they think those policies mean, before we can understand why. Maybe it’s just some misunderstanding, and they’re not mean-spirited ideologues who want people to starve in the cold. I did not vote for Obama, but I want him to succeed at keeping people from starving in the cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home