/* */

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Tenacious Schiavo

I find it incredible that Terri Schiavo has survived for 12 days without water. It makes me wonder if someone is sneaking in liquids, though I am ignorant of the actual situation in the hospital.

The guiding principle should be to treat her as we would want to be treated. We should honor people’s wishes, but wishes vary from person to person, and a lot of us aren’t even sure what we would want in this situation. Without knowing her wishes, the court has ruled that it’s up to her husband. I accept this outcome, though I am uneasy if he would stand to gain from her life insurance. No one should be faced with that kind of conflict of interest.

For the record, if I am brain dead or in a persistent vegetative state with no chance of recovery, or if my family is headed for the poor house to pay for my medical bills, I would like to check out. If I can respond to TV or radio, I would like to live. I wish to be an organ donor, and I opt for the least expensive burial method. If I am cremated, scatter the ashes at a wind farm.

4 Comments:

At Thu Mar 31, 08:23:00 AM CST, Blogger Sheryl said...

That all sounds reasonable to me, except I wouldn't want my receptivity to tv and radio to decide whether I would live. I'd say if there was any doubt about my condition, then pull the plug cause quality of life is extremely important to me.

I'm mostly healthy and there are still times when I think life is pretty pointless or irritating and maybe not worth the hassle, considering that the outcome (death) is a given.

One of the worst things for me in life is boredom, and I think being stuck in a situation where my body had failed and I couldn't do anything would be wretched. If I was unconscious, it wouldn't really bother me one way or the other for my own concern, but it would be a bloody waste of resources from a nation that murders people for resources to keep me alive and then let others die because of inadequate funding in healthcare.

 
At Mon Apr 04, 06:39:00 PM CDT, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

If you're feeling at all blue, as many people often do, it's important to get counsel from someone you trust who understands mood. It can work wonders!

 
At Mon Apr 04, 06:49:00 PM CDT, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Corey Mattson has an interesting post on this topic. Click "Left Bank Blogger" for his thoughts...

 
At Tue Apr 05, 01:49:00 AM CDT, Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks, Tom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home