/* */

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pirate animation peculiarities

The recent shooting of the three pirates off the coast of Somalia has all the appearances of a happy ending. The day before it happened, I was asking my coworkers if snipers could get an accurate shot from a floating ship. The Navy Seals apparently synchronized it perfectly, and were justified since the captain had been kidnapped.

Yesterday I watched an animated depiction of the incident on NBC. I noticed some things that seemed peculiar to me, and I was wondering if any of you could explain things for me.

1. They showed a man below deck pointing a gun at the U.S. captain. It was a cutaway graphic. How could the Navy see that from the outside? They said the standing order was they could use force if the captain’s life was in danger, and this was why they decided he was in danger.

2. In one picture, they showed three bullet holes through a back window. In another picture, they showed two (not three?) heads popping out of a hatch. Which was it? Did they shoot through a window with a hatch on the other side?

3. They showed the pirates’ boat being towed by the Navy ship, and then they were reeled in slowly like a fish. Why did the pirates agree to be towed by the enemy? Were they really that stupid that they thought they could still get away by then?

Just askin’.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home