/* */

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Local pastor calls for Iran regime change

Today I attended the 11 am service at Living Word Christian Center, a megachurch in Brooklyn Park. The facility is the finest I’ve seen, and the production is state of the art. You may have seen their show, "The Winner’s Way" on TV. Before the service I browsed the bookstore and bought a copy of "Revelation Revealed" by Hilton Sutton, TH.D. They also have a café, and a gymnasium, home to Maranatha Christian Academy.

I was impressed by the diversity of the congregation. A significant number of attendees, I want to say 10 percent, were African American. About 300 people were recognized at today’s service, and those were just the new members. The music and lighting reminded me of the Letterman and Leno shows, and the camera-on-a-crane reminded me of network award shows. Over the stage were three mega-monitors with slick cuts and fades between the different camera angles, and lyrics for all the songs.

Anyway, Pastor Mac Hammond listed five countries as past and present sponsors of terrorism: Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Libya, and Syria. Of the five, he called Iran the "decisive point of conflict" in the war against "Islamo fascism" and recommended aerial bombing and destabilization of the governmental infrastructure to bring about "regime change." He said he believed that in this case it is more important to "overcome all evil" than to love one’s enemies. Based on comments made by the president of Iran, Hammond feels we need to kill their leaders before they kill us.

His calls to arms were met by various affirmations like "amen" and "hallelujah" from the congregation. To me it was surreal. Heaven help us.

7 Comments:

At Wed Jan 31, 05:23:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

The cross looks a little small.

Yeah, I've also been to Fourth Baptist, Trinity Worship Center, and Crystal Evangelical Free Church.

I found out that LWCC has outreach ministry programs and they send people out, wherever the spirit moves them, flyering and whatnot. They also have some centers downtown, including Compassion Center on 8th and 11th near the Metrodome, and Three Degrees on Hennepin and 5th.

 
At Thu Feb 01, 05:12:00 PM CST, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

What a surprise.

 
At Sat Feb 03, 05:07:00 PM CST, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Try Unitarianism next.

 
At Sat Feb 03, 07:49:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

They're the consciencioius objectors. Even they might not be spared if there's a draft.

 
At Wed Feb 07, 07:27:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Good points, Ted, thanks.

 
At Mon Feb 12, 03:29:00 PM CST, Blogger Will Donovan said...

Good for you Tom! People have to start opening up these places and exposing them for what they are. Note that I said these "places," because there is nothing Holy about their views that would deem them as centers of worship in my opinion.
My wife was an Evangelical, until we had many heated debates over her fundamentalist background. I would not allow my kids to attend Evangelical church. She has come around since and she got baptized last year, along with my kids (I was already) as a Lutheran. We (more like they) attend the Calvary Lutheran Church on Winnetka in Golden Valley. The Pastor seems very Progressive, but I actually believe that he may be a minority. It is a large and sophisticated operation - bigger than I have ever been used to. However, through the many services I attended with my wife, it has not been political, but focused on prayer.
Is it true that the Mac Hammond church has ties to the crazy baffoon Michelle Bachman - really, really scary!!!
www.abstractcloud.blogspot.com

 
At Mon Feb 12, 06:38:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Growing up we sometimes attended North Como Presbyterian, and around the time my son was born we attended Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home