/* */

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Ouster in Ecuador good or bad?

I’m concerned about this ouster of Ecuadorian President Lucio Gutierrez. Whenever there’s a coup in the works, we should be asking ourselves if this is a good guy or a bad guy, and if the U.S. had anything to do with it.

Yahoo says there was alleged abuse of power, corruption and repression of peaceful protests.

FTW at the end of 2002 said he could be part of a left-leaning block with Brazil and Venezuela. As I understand it, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is a good guy.

3 Comments:

At Wed Apr 27, 04:28:00 AM CDT, Blogger Sheryl said...

The first question then is whether Ecuador has oil. The second is whether they are located where powers that be would want to place a pipeline for oil. Third would be whether they would be likely to influence the politics of nations with aforementioned resource.

If all three questions are no, then the US would have no interest in the country. If one of the answers is yes, then I'd look closely at who Gutierrez's friends were and who they were not.

 
At Wed Apr 27, 05:52:00 PM CDT, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Sol, there should be a search field in the upper left corner. I tried it and it worked for me.

Sheryl, according to ftw, there’s an estimated 1 million to 1 billion barrels of oil near Sucumbios, Ecuador. Whether that’s enough for a coup, I don’t know.

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/033103_plan_columbia.html

 
At Thu Apr 28, 09:49:00 PM CDT, Blogger Sheryl said...

The Department of Eneregy keeps track of all the oil on the planet. I can't remember the website off the top of my head, but it compares various countries. Maybe I will look it up some time soon when I am not tired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home