/* */

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Marilyn Cleland, 1928-2016


Mom died peacefully in her wheelchair before dinner January 13. She was 87. The exact cause is undetermined, but we know she had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which is degenerative. She was ready, and said so. She knew she lived a long and happy life, and was at peace with whatever comes next. She said she wanted to be with Burton. Now that we have notified next of kin, we will make an announcement in the coming days about memorial arrangements.

2 Comments:

At Wed Jan 20, 08:18:00 PM CST, Blogger KB Gruen said...

Thank you for posting this information. I didn't know all of her history, but I was aware of her kindness when I was as small as 3 or 4. Photos bring back memories of particular family events and I remember Marilyn was thoughtful to little kids while we wandered among the grown-ups. The photo you chose shows how very beautiful she is in many ways. No wonder Burton scooped her up at the Deere Company. I am pretty sure I also met her when I was older, on an occasion or two with my Grandmother Charlotte Bullen Wells Boss, and my father W. Andrew Boss (Andrew the Great in my opinion). During a time of sadness, my grandmother Charlotte told me "in time, you will adapt". Perhaps she understood something about this from her own experience at age 14 of her mother's death. It came from her wisdom of many years, and she helped me with my own sadness at the time. It's true. In time, you do adapt, but you never forget, and it is good to know you never really lose someone. Remembering conversations and connection she shared with you, and ruminating on "what would she have said about this?" in certain circumstances can help. I am in New York, so I am disappointed I cannot join you, but am sending you and your family warm feelings now and in 2016! Sincerely, Cathleen Andrea K. Boss Gruen

 
At Sat Jan 23, 02:55:00 PM CST, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Thank you Cathleen Andrea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home