/* */

Monday, May 23, 2011

MN government shutdown

If the Republicans don't meet Governor Dayton halfway, I think he should force a government shutdown. The public is not paying attention, and this will help them to see why government is important. Republicans are generally anti-government, and a shutdown would show us the logical conclusion of the direction they've been taking us. When a shutdown occurs, it becomes a question of what side is bargaining in good faith, from the perspective of independent swing voters. Republicans were elected with a mandate, but so was Dayton. If Republicans don't budge, they should get the blame. Split-ticket voting has led to gridlock, with the governor of one party and the legislature of another. People need to decide which direction they want the state to go, and maybe a shutdown will force them to choose, and hopefully boot out the Republicans in 2014.

2 Comments:

At Wed Jun 01, 06:40:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to agree with you, I really do. But a shutdown will cripple so many (lower)middle class families whose main income earners (sometime the only income) are in State Government. I myself, as well as several co-workers are State employees and single parents barely getting by on what we do make. State workers are not all fat cats stealing tax payers money- we are harding working, dedicated people who love to serve our state. We want to work, we want to support our families. Our State congress needs to do what they were elected to do and learn to compromise and to do what's right for Minnesotans and not throw tantrums.
If the State shuts down, I can't pay my bills, I can't feed my toddler-- not because of anything I did, but because some out-of-touch deluded state congress-person can't do their job, which is make tough decisions to move Minnesota forward- not wine until they get their way.

 
At Thu Jun 02, 08:57:00 AM CDT, Blogger Tom Cleland said...

Whose job would you sacrifice, to save yours? Because the Republicans want cuts that are permanent. At least a shutdown is temporary. How can we educate the public why your job is important? Wouldn't a government shutdown be akin to a general strike, with solidarity, and safety in numbers? I'm reminded of the "First they came" poem. Now, to be fair, my job is not affected, but I'm attending my state union convention this year. And I could argue that my job is adversely affected by having Republicans in government. And I could be affected by the shutdown as I go to use government services. To have the biggest impact, the shutdown should be as widespread as possible. With any luck, we will be done with the Republicans, once and for all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home