/* */

Saturday, July 10, 2004

Polls and the Nader-Dean debate

The lastest poll I saw had Nader at about 4%. I was talking with somebody today who said he would vote for Nader if he reaches 30%. That got me to thinking, Nader would probably do much better if the poll question was rephrased. Something like, “If you could personally select the President of the United States, who would be your first choice, your second choice, your third choice, and so on?”

Essentially, that’s what Instant Runoff Voting asks you.

I enjoyed the debate yesterday between Ralph Nader and Howard Dean, who was there to cover Kerry’s left flank. I was encouraged that they both support Instant Runoff Voting. Now, as Nader said, we need to hear Kerry talk about it. Dean said Kerry is our best chance at reforms like IRV, but to that I would say the Democrats have had their chance and our trust has run out. A third-party President and Congress are our best chance to get reforms like IRV.

Aside from a few technicalities like Initiative and Referendum, Dean did not have a problem with Nader on the issues. His main concern is the fear of re-electing Bush. Nader, for his part, had a chance to list his many differences with Kerry, a point he made “abundantly clear.”

In attendance at the debate was John Anderson, a third-party candidate for President in 1980. He was the first presidential candidate I voted for, and, come to think of it, I’ve voted for third-party candidates in four of the last six elections.

Nader needs 15% to get into the debates with Bush and Kerry. If everybody waits for everybody else, we’ll never get there. That’s why I’m staying planted, and I’m willing to wait as long as it takes for y’all to join us. Before we can get to 30%, we need to get to 15%, and before we can get to 15%, we need a steady base of supporters at 4%.

1 Comments:

At Wed Jul 14, 06:47:00 PM CDT, Blogger Corey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home